19 December 2005

umm

So I neglected you, my poor little blog.

The funeral for my cousin was nice. It was obvious that the parents were trying to do what they thought the 17 year old might like, although the "Call to Christ" could have been handled with a little more subtlety.

Thanksgiving was the same as always, but with more wine and "Apples to Apples." If I had a reason, I would buy that game.

I have actually been referring to my apartment and Chicago as my home. Without having to purposely think of it. Signs of settling in.

Work is going fine. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with my co-workers. Two weeks ago, I went to a holiday party at a nice Italian restaurant. Granted it was during the time that it snowed for like 12 hours straight, so everyone went straight to the open bar. And a few co-workers who found out about my history in choir were pissed that I didn't bail them out of the company 12 Days of Christmas.

And last week? Was interesting. I worked a total of 46 hours, but that includes the time at the company-wide and departmental holiday parties. Company-wide was Thursday. Free food, open bar, stocking up before the program during which the bar is closed, band that didn't fit the atmosphere, co-workers that were sad when they realized that there would be no Cha-Cha Slide that night. The bartenders were heavy-handed with the alcohol. I had three cranberry vodkas and two (maybe three) rum and Cokes. After being there for four hours, it's time for the after-hours party at a dive bar. Took a cab with another co-worker who ended up paying for the whole thing (and then buying me two rum and Cokes while I was waiting to check my coat). I had to buy the next one. After that, I was cornered by the director for a while, but it resulted in more free drinks. At one point, I was introduced as "the new hire that's kicking ass." So, apparently I've taken well to the job. At 10 pm and after 10+ mixed drinks on an almost empty stomach, it was time to go home. A co-worker and their fiancee were nice enough to give me a ride so I wouldn't need to mess with a bus or cab (although I probably could have gotten money for a cab out of the director). Friday, I was amazingly at work at 8:45 am. Later was bowling with the department. I really sucked and got a Target gift card out of it. Then a stop at the bar next door to catch up on the gossip from last night.

Tuesday is another holiday party at a bar. I'm not sure how many people I know are going since a lot of them are trying to use up their vacation time before they lose it.

Wednesday, I might go to Water Tower Place to shop a bit. Thursday is a train ride home.

Christmas could be depressing with, on Mom's side of the family, the cousin gone and the grandfather whose birthday would have be Christmas Day gone, and Dad's side of the family, the grandfather dying two weeks before Christmas years ago.

I can tell I'm settling in because the singleness is starting to sink in. Eight seats in my apartment when only one will be occupied at one time. A queen bed for just me. A couple of co-workers, younger and older, planning their weddings or possible engagements. Others talking about their kids. Another crush is starting to appear. Not that I'm looking for someone right now (or would know how), but the aloneness is becoming apparent, especially since my mom just expects me to be alone without plans on NYE. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home